Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Family memories and the RX-7

Seeing this car and visiting the Mazda Museum brought back old family memories.
First, there was an exhibition on the history of the rotary engine and how Mazda developed the technology after buying the patent for the Wankel rotary engine.
I then had a long forgotten memory come to the surface about one evening when discussing car engines with my father - and I don't think I've ever told this story to any of my family, so I think they'll be interested to read it too.
My sister Linda must have driven a Mazda car - I seem to remember an orange care of some description - and it would have had a rotary engine. I remember seeing a program on television - it might have even just been an advertisment - about the rotary engine and somehow the topic of conversation arose about car engines.
My father then drew a picture for me of the internal combustion engine, and also talked about the different stages of the process - injection, compression, expansion exhaust etc and then drew a picture of the rotary engine and explained it. After seeing this exhibition, it made me realise just how well my father understood engines, as these displays were exactly as I remember him talking.
The other memory was of the RX-7 that, in later years, Linda used to drive. She drove a later version than the one shown here, which was red, but my friends used to be very impressed when she used to drop by in the car.
It's a strange realisation, when a long way from home, how this facility has obviously affected people from all around the world in many different ways. We're obviously all connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment