Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cousin Murdo

This is Murdo Morrison, promotions manager for the Gaelic digital television at BBC Alba (Alba is Gaelic for Scotland and pronounced UL-e-BA. The U in UL is like the u in the English word 'up'). I first met Murdo when he organised media at the Mod in Stornoway in 2001, and discovered then that he was related to Joan Willis of Melbourne, who was the first person whoever taught me Gaelic. I think that they're first cousins once removed.

Murdo's generosity, support and kindness knows no bounds, and like so many Gaels, have are unbelievably hospitable. Murdo introduced me to many people at An Commun Gàidhleach (The Gaelic Society) and the Western Isles, and was a referee for me for the National Library of Australia/National Folk Fellowship.

I remember when I first met him in 2001 at the Mod, when after shaking my hand, promptly handed me invitations to launches, ceilidhs and daily receptions (sometime two or three a day!) where there was food and drink gu leòr (galore), which was well appreciated at that time when the Australian dollar got only 33p to the dollar, unlike the current 57p.

I bumped into Murdo early evening yesterday at a reception for BBC alba. For more of that see heading 'BBC ALBA reception'.

No comments:

Post a Comment