Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Broken Gaelic

As Gaelic is an endangered language, any attempt to promote is good. I remember Gillebride Macmillan from South Uist once said in response to my concerns about my attempts in speaking Gaelic, and making a mess of it, " 'b fheàrr leam Gàidhlig bhriste na Gàidhlig anns a' cìste " which translates as 'I would prefer broken Gaelic to Gaelic in the coffin.' which is very wise advice.

So having said that broken Gaelic is a good thing, I suppose it's OK that there's so much of it in lots of signs like this one around the town. I would say around half the signs in the shop windows have some sort of spelling error. It's not an Oban thing, as I've seen it at almost at every Mod I've been to.

Extra points for those of you who spot the errors in some of the signs posted here over the next few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment